3/13/19 UPDATE: We have reached capacity, and reservations have concluded for this performance.
If you would like be added to the waitlist, please email the Interplay Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
In collaboration with Anna Leahy and the MFA in Creative Writing program
Chamber Music at the Hilbert: Dreaming in Color
Pacific Symphony Principal second violinist Bridget Dolkas leads a string quartet in an immersive program inspired by dreams. As part of the INTERPLAY, a collaboration with Chapman University's College of Performing Arts, the performance brings together live readings of student poetry and curated texts to explore the concept of “universal dreams” through music and words.
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Seating is limited and will be first-come, first-served with limited standing room for latecomers. Cookie and coffee reception to follow the performance.
The Hilbert Museum of California Art at Chapman University, which opened in 2016, was founded thanks to the generosity of founders Mark and Janet Hilbert. The Hilbert Collection – which includes oils, watercolors, sketches and lithographs of urban and industrial scenes, coastal views, farms, ranches and landscapes of everyday life – is a significant repository of images of the 20th century by California artists, celebrating the unique artistic and cultural development of the Golden State.
Doors Open: 3:30 p.m.
Concert: 4 p.m.
Coffee and Cookie Reception immediately following the performance
Parking is available in the Chapman University West Campus Structure at 230 N. Cypress St. or in the City of Orange Parking Structure at the corner of Chapman Ave. and Lemon St. Each is an easy walk to the Museum!
- Terry Riley - Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector Part 1
- Claude Debussy - String Quartet in G minor, L 85, Op. 10
- IV: Très modéré – En animant peu à peu – Très mouvementé et avec passion
- Zoltán Kodály - String Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 2
- Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 1
- Henri Dutilleux - Ainsi la nuit (Thus the night)
- Dmitri Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110
- Ludwig van Beethoven - String Quartet No. 13 in B♭ major, Op. 130
- V: Cavatina. Adagio molto espressivo
- Stacy Garrop - String Quartet No. 2, "Demons and Angels"
- Arvo Pärt - Summa
- Terry Riley - Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector Part 2
- Bridget Dolkas – violin
- Agnes Gottschewski – violin
- Joshua Newburger – viola
- John Acosta – cello
- Dianne Manaster
- Aaron McGee
Planetary Dream Collectors:
- Zoe Wilber
- Reagan Shrum
- Grace Papish
- Elizabeth Gimple
- Mariam Said (poet)
- Sam Risak (poet)
- Sierra Ellison (poet)
Presented by Chapman University and Pacific Symphony, this concert is part of INTERPLAY, in association with Chapman University's College of Performing Arts, Creative Writing program and the Hilbert Museum of California Art.